The term ‘codependency’ conveys a number of different meanings. Traditionally it is used for a family member whose loved one is under the influence of drug addiction. Also, if some one’s behavior affects the other person who may be a parent, spouse or lover then this term is also used.
The following are few symptoms of codependency:
- When you feel burdened by someone’s thoughts, feelings, actions, wants, choices or needs.
- You feel almost compelled to help the other person and offer suggestions to solve their problems
- You may find yourself saying “yes” when you really mean “no”
- Easy to feel angry if injustice is done to others
- The relationship is not reciprocal
- Often feel victimized, angry and used by others
- Coming from a dysfunctional family
- Blame others for everything going wrong
- Rejects praise or compliments
What is the consequence of Codependency
First of all, you need to have proper understanding about codependency so that you can know the consequences and how to treat it. This is very important to develop a healthy relationship with someone else. By looking at the list of symptoms that has been listed above due to codependency, you can understand that what kind of problem they can cause in relationships. In reality the problem can be far greater than anyone can realize.
Also, there is very little likelihood that someone will seek medical help to address the issue and take any and rather prefer to remain silent in the stressful condition. This can create plenty of social anxiety and feelings of insecurity. Often such issues can lead to alcoholism and drug addiction too.
Codependency can also be a potential cause of negative physical side effects. Many people may also suffer from diseases like high blood pressure, respiratory problems, headache, ulcers and heart related problems. In addition to that people remain emotionally uncomfortable as well as physically unhealthy.
Medical experts consider this as some kind of mental disease because codependency is often the main cause of people turning to various kinds of addictions. If the problem is not timely addressed then it can lead to serious complications.
Codependency also creates a feeling of shame. Therefore, we need to watch our behavior before it is too late.